GETTING NEW CUSTOMERS. If you own a small to medium sized business, and have heard the term “lead generation” but your not sure how it might apply to your business then you have come to the right place to learn the basics.
What Exactly Is Website Lead Generation?
The phrase “lead generation” is a rather loose term in marketing that refers to attracting consumers or business to your company’s services, products or offerings. There are a variety of methods and tools that are used to develop the leads that range from telemarketing, direct response advertising to sophisticated database and computer programs.
Often lead generation is created to develop sales leads through email newsletters, contact forms and so on. Sometimes leads are generated through business to business transactions but it also applies to companies that want to generate connections directly with customers.
Inbound Lead Generation & Outbound Lead Generation:
- Inbound: This is when a consumer or other business comes to your company. They are initiating the contact. An example of inbound lead generation is when a consumer comes to your website from a Google search and lands on your home page, your blog, or your social media site.
- Outbound: This is when your firm sends out various marketing messages. This communication can be via email, newsletters, or phone calls.
Lead Generation on a Shoestring
If you have limited time and financial resources, what simple steps can you take to have an effective lead generation strategy?
The practice doesn’t have to be expensive or complicated:
- Where Do You Want to Go? One important step is to simply think about the concept. How can your business attract new sales leads? What areas can you tap to find potential new customers? What is your competition doing to attract new customers?
- Current Customers. You already know your current customers, but do you have a process in place to systematically bring in new customers or business? You should be sure to know your prospects: for example, if you manufacture the latest in high-end ski equipment, you should not be targeting elderly golfers in your outbound marketing.
- Ensure that all types of content – whether it’s your new responsive website design, comapny blog, email newsletter, and social media presence are perfectly coordinated and maintained in a timely and up to date manner! Make it a point to audit your various websites and social media channels every quarter to see that the information stays up to date, and refresh at least parts of it regularly. Try to make forms as short as possible and state clearly just how the prospect’s information will or will not be used. Again, the goal is to draw people in.
Lead generation is important to companies of all sizes. Even though some of the largest corporations have whole teams devoted only to lead generation, it should be a part of any small business owner’s marketing strategy.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: With over 20 years experience, ATS Design Group in Syracuse, New York is a team specializing in all aspects of online digital marketing including website design, SEO search engine optimization, and social media marketing as well as print and traditional advertising design. serving clients across upstate New York, throughout New England, and nationwide.